Overwatch Chinese New Year of the Rat countdown: Lunar start time, NEW skins, patch notes
Later today, OVERWATCH fans will hop into the Lunar New Year case, as Blizzard celebrates the Chinese New Year with new skins, items and game modes.
Overwatch developer Blizzard prepares to host its annual Chinese New Year 2020 gathering.
The new Lunar New Year game, celebrating the Year of the Rat, has a release date of January 16 on PS4, Xbox One, PC and Nintendo Switch.
Timings of the event were confirmed on Twitter by Blizzard, along with a peek at some of the new skins that are coming to the game.
“Get ready to ring in the Year of the Rat!” reads a Blizzard tweet. “Overwatch’s Lunar New Year festivities begin tomorrow!”
This was accompanied by a second tweet previewing the brand new Legendary Face Changer Sombra skin (below).
“Looking for me?” reads the follow-up tweet. “Faze your enemies as Face Changer Sombra (Legendary)! Overwatch’s Year of the Rat celebrations begin tomorrow.”
Overwatch events typically start at 6 pm UK time alongside a big new update, so there’s not much to wait for.
The event is running for just under three weeks, concluding for all platforms on February 5.
The Chinese New Year celebration will coincide with the release of new seasonal pieces that are returning.
It includes sprays, emotions and voice patterns, as well as a host of skins from Lunar New Year.
It’s the perfect opportunity to unlock any event skins you may have skipped from previous years, including Rooster Bastion, Firework Junkrat, Fortune Mercy and General Brigitte.
In the build up to launch, new costumes will be announced so check back for a look at the new outfits coming to Overwatch.
Lijiang Tower will also get a makeover for the duration of the event, while we’ll be seeing a new Competitive Capture the Flag mode for a chance.
We’ll also be getting a big new update based on some of the improvements tested in the Overwatch PTR. The early patch notes for the new update can be seen below.
Get ready to ring in the Year of the 🐀!
Overwatch’s Lunar New Year festivities begin tomorrow! pic.twitter.com/bszNJheHDt
— Overwatch (@PlayOverwatch) January 15, 2020
OVERWATCH LUNAR NEW YEAR EARLY PATCH NOTES…
CUSTOM GAME OPTIONS
• The Lobby section of Custom Game Settings has a new option “Data Center Preference”.
• This option provides the game creator with more control over where the game will be hosted.
• The default “Best Available” choice automatically provides the creator with the best quality connection available to them.
• We only suggest choosing a specific datacenter if no single datacenter can simultaneously provide the best connection to all players.
• This is usually only the case when the players participating in the custom game are located in different geographic regions of the world.
• Immortality Field
– Maximum duration reduced from 8 to 5 seconds
– Cooldown increased from 20 to 25 seconds
• Amplification Matrix
– Amplification Matrix ultimate cost increased by 20%
• Endothermic Blaster (Primary Fire)
– Slowing effect now reduces enemy movement speed from 20-70%, down from 30-90%
– Slowing effect duration reduced from 1.5 to 1.0 second
– Cooldown decreased from 5 to 3 seconds